Sari Sulkunen, PhD, Adjunct professor
Fields of expertise
My fields of expertise include adolescent and adult literacy and the socio-cultural factors related to literacy performance. Using the data of large-scale international studies (such as PIRLS, PISA and PIAAC), I have , for example, examined the association between literacy performance and reading engagement and factors related to low (and high) literacy performance. Moreover, I have studied relations between literacy performance, age and education among adults and the role of informal learning in adults’ literacy performance.
Memberships in professional organizations and expert groups
- Founding member in the Association European Literacy Policy Network (ELINET) (est. 5.7.2017−). Moreover, I am a member in the Management group of ELINET and the co-chair of the thematic working group on Adolescent and Disciplinary literacy.
- Membership in the PISA 2018 Reading Expert Group (2014–2019).
- Membership in the National Literacy Forum in Finland (2017–2018) which was an expert group set by the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Membership in PISA/PIRLS Task Force (2011–2014), a group nominated by the International Literacy Association & the Federation of European Literacy Associations.
- Membership in the High Level Group on Literacy (2011–2012) which was an expert group set by the European Commission.