Sari Sulkunen, PhD, Associate professor
Fields of expertise
My fields of expertise include adolescent and adult literacy and the socio-cultural factors related to literacy performance. Using the data of large-scale international studies (such as PIRLS, PISA and PIAAC), I have , for example, examined the association between literacy performance and reading engagement and factors related to low (and high) literacy performance. Moreover, I have studied relations between literacy performance, age and education among adults and the role of informal learning in adults’ literacy performance.
Most recently, my research has focused on disciplinary literacy and classroom practices related to teaching literacy in all school-subjects. So far I have focused on the principles of disciplinary literacy pedagogy, literacy practices of secondary history teachers, and students’ understanding of historical knowledge and literacy. These studies have been conducted in the project Engaging in disciplinary thinking: Historical literacy practices in Finnish general upper secondary schools (HisLit; for details see the project website)
Currently I work as an associate professor in multiliteracies at the Department of Language and Communication Studies at the University of Jyväskylä (Finland).
Finnish (native), English (C2), Swedish (A2/B1)
Memberships in professional organizations and expert groups
- Founding member in the Association European Literacy Policy Network (ELINET) (est. 5.7.2017−). Moreover, I am a member in the Management group of ELINET and the co-chair of the thematic working group on Adolescent and Disciplinary literacy.
- Membership in the PISA 2018 Reading Expert Group (2014–2019).
- Membership in the National Literacy Forum in Finland (2017–2018) which was an expert group set by the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Membership in PISA/PIRLS Task Force (2011–2014), a group nominated by the International Literacy Association & the Federation of European Literacy Associations.
- Membership in the High Level Group on Literacy (2011–2012) which was an expert group set by the European Commission.
- Short CV (Education, Training, Career, Awards)
- Selected publications
- Projects (Research and practice projects)