Lesen mit App. Promising Practice Example #6
For a long PDF version, see the link at the end
Lesen mit App (Reading with Apps)
Age Groups: 3 – 6 years
Digital media for the promotion of emergent literacy, such as the promotion of oral language skills, listening and narrative skills, writing skills, metalinguistic skills such as phonological and phonemic awareness as well as for the initiation of reading pleasure
AGE GROUP 6 – 10 years
- Digital tools for fostering emergent literacy
- Advice/guidelines for educators
- Fostering basic reading skills
- Fostering high-level reading skills
- Using digital devices to foster reading for pleasure
The usage of Apps bears the potential to encourage children to practise speaking or reading in a playful way. But which apps are best suited to promoting speaking and reading? Discover the initiative of Stiftung Lesen: www.lesenmit.app.
The core task of the initiative is to review, test and evaluate apps as to their suitability for promoting language and reading.
Since smartphones and tablets are available in many families and are also suitable for inclusive use, the use of these devices offers opportunities for establishing contact, passing on didactic impulses, and thus also for early language and reading promotion activities in the family setting, day-care centres, kindergartens, after-school care and schools.
Which skills are particularly promoted with an app? What target group does the content address? Is the app more suitable for use at home or in an institutional context? A panel of experts supports the testing and trial of apps with their experience and expertise. They evaluate apps with regard to their suitability for promoting language and reading skills. The interdisciplinary approach of team guarantees a comprehensive and multi-perspective view of the apps.
Short explanatory films, blog entries and checklists provide parents and professionals with guidance on how they can enjoy digital learning and reading with their children.
Lesen mit App / Reading with Apps is an initiative of Stiftung Lesen, funded by the German Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth.
Project Materials/ Examples:
The materials produced by the initiative during its first and second terms can be found at www.lesenmit.app. The main feature of the website is review articles, which can be found under “App-Suche”. In the family section, users will find information on the use of apps and a checklist for evaluating apps. The Professionals section also contains materials for professionals working in schools and preschools. In addition, app screencasts and interviews with experts are available in both areas.
Videos – Interviews with experts
- Using apps in the daycare center – Reading with App https://youtu.be/ZJvPGxTXXK8
- App in the daycare center – Reading with App https://youtu.be/HEyVPhM2GI0
- App to the family – Reading with App https://youtu.be/mfhKHWvxNmI
- Apps at home – reading with app https://youtu.be/Cv1S7IuAQ7s
- App to Elementary School – Reading with App https://youtu.be/YpFjdhgfnPk
- App to primary school practice – Reading with App https://youtu.be/JLMdBlD4QKM
Videos – Online Seminars
- Apps to promote text comprehension https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rd4tYw3c70
- Apps to promote reading fluency https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zd-0z136fM
- Apps to expand vocabulary in kindergarten and elementary school https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6digtUXo7Uw&list=PL-2sY-ZN2s8TdPl02LDPshTtKfdo08O4A
- Apps to promote phonological awareness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukNb2vknkt8
- For Families (https://lesenmit.app/tipps-fuer-eltern#anchor-checkliste)
- For Professionals (https://lesenmit.app/tipps-fuer-fachkraefte#anchor-checkliste)
- Screencast “Olchi ABC – Buchstabensuppe” https://youtu.be/LHBYwIWDSCs Screencast: Mein Bauernhof – Wimmelapp für Kinder https://youtu.be/vIzAYM719mM
- Screencast – Außergewöhnliche Frauen https://youtu.be/11iOjADgTFA
- Screencast – Tafitis Savannenparty https://youtu.be/q-qtOrA3Gsc
- Screencast – Im Garten der Pusteblume https://youtu.be/TcliXfQ_b5I
- Screencast – Der kleine Drache Kokosnuss – Lernspaß https://youtu.be/C6aOTl8ihmU
- Screencast – Heyduda! Kinder lernen Essen https://youtu.be/3ifNBZva0mk
- Screencast – Die kleine Eule https://youtu.be/KS0KwzFSOiQ
- Screencast – Bloom https://youtu.be/5M59cEoxOxU
- Screencast – Die Olchis – Ein Drachenfest für Feuerstuhl https://youtu.be/eXx63eyC_p8
- For a Long PDF version go here (also downloadable)
- Overview Page Good & Promising Practices